Lecture 1 – the Acute Abdomen
General Surgery taught by Dr Georgina James
1. Describe the symptoms, signs, and differential diagnosis for
patients presenting with an acute abdomen.
2. Discuss the investigations and management of patients with acute abdominal pain (including conditions such as peritonitis, obstruction and pancreatitis).
3. Describe the pre and postoperative management of an acutely unwell patient who requires emergency surgery.
4. Discuss the difficulties with fluid management and electrolyte
derangements, including oliguria and acute kidney injury.
5. State the essential pathology of: appendicitis, acute pancreatitis, acute cholecystitis, abdominal aortic aneurysm and diverticular disease.